Saturday, February 16, 2019

Alignment Factions (Rough Draft)

EDIT 17/02/19: I have spoken to a few people about this system on Discord, and we've come to the agreement that, much like the Ravnica faction system this is based on, the system predominantly benefits casters. If I come back to this in the future- which I doubt I will do unless there is a lot of interest in it- I think what I'd do instead/as well is to make some traits that players gain as they level up/commit alignment-specific deeds, similar to feats.

The following are optional semi-backgrounds, based on old D&D editions applying alignment as much more concrete concepts with mechanical influence. These would work for games where DMs want alignment to be core forces in their world- perhaps to the extent where they are manifested as gods or core elements.

When a player selects their alignment, they capitalise either good, evil, lawful, or chaotic. This trait becomes their founding alignment, which determines which alignment's traits they benefit from.

Each core alignment has a language. This language consists of body language, glints in the eye, and occasionally specific code words and dialects. These can only be spoken by those with the same alignment, and cannot be learned through other means. At the DM's discretion characters may get to learn the language of both their good-evil alignment and law-chaos alignment.

Neutral gets nothing right now because in the metaphysical war of polar ideologies, you don't get points for indecision.



 Alignment: Good

To be Good is to enable the benefit of others, especially when no personal gain is achieved from it. Altruism, compassion, and empathy are the tenants of Good.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion
Language: Gold-tongue

Feature: Generally Wholesome
You can find a place to hide, rest, and recuperate amongst commoners that you have shown generosity and good will to. They will shield you from adversaries, but will not risk their lives for you.

Good Alignment Spells
Prerequisite: Spellcasting or Pact Magic class feature
For you, the spells on the Good Alignment Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class. If you are a multiclass character with multiple spell lists, these spells are added to all of them.

Spell Level Good Alignment Spells
Cantrips Guidance, Resistance
Level 1 Bless, Sanctuary
Level 2 Prayer of Healing, Warding Bond
Level 3 Beacon of Hope, Life Transference
Level 4 Aura of Purity, Death Ward
Level 5 Commune With Nature, Holy Weapon

Suggested Characteristics


1d6 Ideal
1 Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
2 Service. Using my talents to help others is the best way of helping myself.
3 Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever.
4 Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone.
5 Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
6 Honest. Others can do what they want, but I won't lie or steal, even to feed my family.



Alignment: Evil

To be Evil is to allow or enforce suffering upon others, especially when no greater good is achieved from it. Selfishness, manipulation, and abuse are the traits of Evil.

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Intimidation
Language: Silver-tongue

Feature: 50 Shades of Bastard
You can get away with minor criminal offences, such as refusing to pay for food at a restaurant or breaking down a door at a local shop, if no legal authorities witness the crime. Most people are too daunted by you to report your wrongdoings.

Evil Alignment Spells
Prerequisite: Spellcasting or Pact Magic class feature
For you, the spells on the Evil Alignment Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class. If you are a multiclass character with multiple spell lists, these spells are added to all of them.


Spell Level Evil Alignment Spells
Cantrips Poison Spray, Vicious Mockery
Level 1 Bane, Cause Fear
Level 2 Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement
Level 3 Fear, Vampiric Touch
Level 4 Blight, Phantasmal Killer
Level 5 Dominate Person, Infernal Calling

Suggested Characteristics

1d6Ideal
1Greed. I won't risk my life for nothing. I expect some kind of payment.
2Might. If I become strong, I can take what I want– what I deserve.
3Ambition. I'm going to prove that I deserve only the best– of everything.
4Depraved. I have lost my moral compass. The ends justify most any means.
5Manipulation. I use people as my pawns to achieve my own goals.
6Envy. I desire not only that which others have, but that they lost what they have too.



Alignment: Lawful

To be Lawful is to adhere to and enforce notions of order, control, and discipline. Lawful individuals practice strict codes of conduct, ritualistic lifestyles, and share a common understanding that order, authority, and moderation are the key components to a healthy society.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Intimidation
Language: Binary

Feature: I am the Law
You have the authority to make citizen arrests, and the common folk look to you as a source of legal authority and guidance. If this power is abused however, you may be stripped of it in certain settlements and regions.

Law Alignment Spells
Prerequisite: Spellcasting or Pact Magic class feature
For you, the spells on the Law Alignment Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class. If you are a multiclass character with multiple spell lists, these spells are added to all of them.

Spell LevelLaw Alignment Spells
CantripsBlade Ward, True Strike
Level 1Command, Compelled Duel
Level 2Moonbeam, Zone of Truth
Level 3Counterspell, Magic Circle
Level 4Banishment, Divination
Level 5Wall of Force, Planar Binding

Suggested Characteristics


1d6 Ideal
1 Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions, I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
2 Distance. One must not interfere with the affairs of others – even one in need of aid.
3 Boundaries. Everything and everyone has its prescribed place; I respect that and expect others to do the same.
4 Fairness. No one should get preferential treatment before the law, and no one is above the law.
5 Logic. Emotions must not cloud our sense of what is right and true, or our logical thinking.
6 Loyal. My word, once given, is my bond.



Alignment: Chaotic

To be Chaotic is to be a harbinger of change, disruption, and alteration. Those who are aligned with Chaos promote free will and metamorphosis, opposing control and restriction.

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Persuasion
Language: Limbic

Feature: Quirky
People can see the glimmer of chaos in your eye and understand that you have your... peculiarities. The common folk will not report you for unusual appearance, mannerisms, or behaviour, provided that it is not a clear violation of the law.

Chaos Alignment Spells
Prerequisite: Spellcasting or Pact Magic class feature
For you, the spells on the Chaos Alignment Spells table are added to the spell list of your spellcasting class. If you are a multiclass character with multiple spell lists, these spells are added to all of them.

Spell LevelChaos Alignment Spells
CantripsFriends, Infestation
Level 1Chaos Bolt, Silent Image
Level 2Alter Self, Dragon's Breath
Level 3Blink, Summon Lesser Demons
Level 4Hallucinatory Terrain, Polymorph
Level 5Mislead, Reincarnate

Suggested Characteristics


1d6 Ideal
1 Indifferent. Life is cruel. What's the point in saving people if they're going to die anyway?
2 Hedonist. Life is short. I live my life to the fullest, as I know any day could be my last.
3 Independence. I am a free spirit– no one tells me what to do.
4 Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.
5 Creativity. The world is in need of new ideas and bold action.
6 Free Thinking. Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment